The East Hants Arena Association is a volunteer group of citizens from East Hants formed in the mid 1940’s which built the original Lantz Arena that opened in 1948. The arena or “East Hants Barn” as it is fondly remebered, was heavily used by hockey teams and skaters. Due to over-demand and the passage of time, the arena was due to be replaced by the late 1980’s. The arena association began the process of raising funds for, and constructing the current East Hants Sportsplex as it exists today. It opened in early 1993, and has been one of the most utilized ice surfaces in the region.
In the years following the opening of the facility, the Association realized that the community’s demand for ice time and other recreational requirements would necessitate the expansion of the Sportsplex. This would include the addition of a second ice surface, and several other types of recreational resources. In 1997, the arena association began efforts to add to the Sportsplex and in 2004; a dedicated Expansion Committee was formed to focus exclusively on this project.